KL GIGS

It's all about smoke & sweat.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Saosin LIVE in KL @ KL Live Center


I apologize for the late review on this, I've been away to Bangkok for some touch rugby shit, and the internet system here was CRAPPP! So. REWIND. 1st February.

After a long day aching from period pains (sorry guys) and tiring out in drama practise, I was pumped and ready to drive down to KL Live Center with Moe's car - and Moe himself - at around 7pm. I love gigs that start at night, the whole feel of it being brief but memorable excites me to the max. And usually the later the time is set, the more punctual they actually are. As I drove into the venue, I saw Saosin walking back from probably dinner or some shit. I should've wound down my window, go "Wargh!" and pretend nothing happened. Muahaha.

Went down to the cafe below KL Live, and bumped into The Padangs and Wong This Sunday chilling out. Sorry Wong, forgot to ask you what you wanted to say to me! Sat outside, scolding Moe for ordering cold drinks even though he had fever slapping him in the face, and waited to Alyaa and Taan to come chill with us before heading into the venue at exactly 8pm, where the gig was already started. Nice one. Punctuality was cool!


Love Me Butch kick-started the show, and honestly I absolutely LOVE these guys. Every single performance I have seen of theirs have never let me down, they are so well-tuned with the music scene they get on stage knowing exactly what they're doing and what to expect from the crowd. Even better, they KNOW how to please the crowds. I saw these two whities behind me who were so impressed at the singalongs, probably never realizing that Malaysian music scene actually held potential. Pfft. White kids. :P HAHA joking, I can't say much, being half-french myself.


Love Me Butch played all the songs I loved, drove me ecstatic when I screamed for "Barricade" and they played it. WHOOOO!!!! They played I think about half an hour, a longest set I've seen of theirs, and it was not satisfying enoughhh! Do more shows, grr.


Went back out and bumped into Ezzart on the way, who told me he wanted to get up front. Told him to wait so I could find Taan and Alyaa, who we had lost because Moe and I could slip past the crowd with our media passes. Kaching! Went out, met the two chickas, and Moe was feeling really ill that time so he decided to bail out on the crowd and chill at the upstairs level, where all the Media and Backstagers could chill at. Saw him halfway through the gig from above, waving like a lunatic. Haha.


FINALLY Saosin came on, and hooohhh my god, they were....outstanding. Minus the several times when the microphones of Burchell's was faulty and screeching on our ears from the stage-left speakers, nothing went wrong with their performance. They ruled the show with "You're Not Alone" and that one song which I forgot, when Reber asked a fan what he wanted and the fan did a circle with his hands, signifying a circle pit. And hell, a circle pit we did get! It started off miniscule, and gradually got bigger and bigger and bigger! I'll try posting up a video, if not, just checkit out on Youtube. Type in "circle pit kl saosin" or something. My username is linney69. Yeah. YOU HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT!


Was satisfied because I could bring in my moshing for all my friends who couldn't make it. Hehe. They started out with "I Keep My Secrets Safe", but I would have to say my favourite song of the night was "Collapse". Amazing stuff man! But they didn't play some songs Ezzart and I had wanted, which really sucked. Finally got to see Ezzart with his girlfriend, and mannn they were cute. heehee.


We were so exhausted by the time they reached "Fireflies". A sweet moment for the crowd, when Reber told everybody to take out their lighters. The crowd looked absolutely beautiful. Come on man, it's Malaysia, who doesn't have lighters? Hahaha. I was just stood there with my lighter. Turned to Ezzart, "Dude we're wasting gas. Want to smoke?"
"Sure!" hahahaha. :)


Saosin walks off before they played the two most anticipated songs of the night, so obviously everyone knew they were coming back on. So they did, minus Burchell, so they decided to sing us a slow melody, trying to kill time while Burchell was... I don't know, taking a piss or something. Haha. Reber was very interactive with the crowd, constantly willing to pose for cameras and I even caught a sweet moment when he saw a crowdsurfer stuck near the front of the stage, and pulled him out by the belt so he could jump in and move again. Haha! Burchell won the crowd's heart by saying "They said you were crazy. They didn't say you were THIS crazy". Well obviously, no American bands probably have a clue they have a huge stash of fans in Malaysia ready to rock out to their gigs, even more suprising to find them singing along. Reber also made this honorable speech about chasing dreams and becoming somebody in the future, ending with something along the lines of "Right now, right here, we're living our dream". Cheh elehhh. :P


Saosin finished the show with "Seven Years" (Duh), and their infamous guitar spin song, "They perched on stilts, pointing and daring us to break custom". What a blast. I was completely satisfied with the show, and honestly, if I had to pay to enter, I wouldn't have minded, AT ALL. Hopefully they keep their word and try to make it back here in August!


Went backstage, failed to grab the last set-list on stage *sob*, and took the car and Moe drove me home. What a night.

Celine loves a taste of international acts now and again.

1 comment:

102839 said...

Oh my god I am SO jealous! Would make my life if they could come to NZ :( Seven Years... Would be amazing live