KL GIGS

It's all about smoke & sweat.

Sunday, July 6, 2008

KL Indie Fest '08

The biggest indie festival in KL to date (so they said). A hot day, an outdoor stage, indie clothing booths lined up beneath KL tower, it was definitely a bubbling day. After being ditched (not on purpose) by the friends I had asked to go with me, I resulted into going to the Festival alone, feeling slightly nerve-wrecked and not in the mood.


Walking past all the clothing booths after buying my ticket, two voices went "Hey Celine!" and I found two guys (Saufi and Jufry) of the same gang I was chilling with at MCPA during Escape the Flock in June walking towards me. Phwoar, you have no idea of the relief I felt when I finally met someone I knew. I mean, I knew I was definitely going to bump into familiar faces, but hey these guys were my gig buddies! So there it was, a start of a strong friendship. So I went to the DurjanaDesign booth, apparently it is owned by Rezza himself and was greeted by everyone heehee. Felt so... wanted. HAHA! Just finally got to know most of their names (Kolep, Kodyp, Bobo, Eno!) and bought two t-shirts (One "KL INdie Fest" shirt and a "We Love Indie" shirt from SukaHatiClothing).

I blurred out at one point when I didn't realize the bands were already playing, and I thought the music was coming from some radio speakers or something. HAHAHA. That was retarded. So we went to check out some bands, we weren't impressed, just ended up fooling around with some others in the crowd, taking lame pictures, slowdancing; It was funny when Jufry and I danced and everyone was like "Move back, move back!" and formed a circle. xD Went back down, went back to Durjana's booth, which was our main lepak spot. Oh, this bit was the best. Somehow one of the dudes got hold of a guitar, and we put an empty box on the floor and did a choir/guitar thing with Hujan songs. Hahahaha!
Us: Waktu dukaaaa dulu kita lalui bersamaaaaaaa...
And we also forgot the words to some parts....
half of us: (end of first chorus)... Jika ku berik - DI BAWAH ANGIN!! BAHAHAHA
the other half of us:Senyuman manis.. what?- DI BAWAH ANGIN!! BAHAHAHAAh,

that was fun stuff, and we asked some girls for song requests. Sang Bila Aku Sudah Tiada and forgot the words as well. Sigh.
Went up to the Observation Deck in KL Tower and looked around trying to find Selayang and Mont Kiara. Jufry and Saufi told me how they were friends since they were five years old, which I found SO ADORABLE. Argh. Anyway. Went back down, went to the gig area, and went to find the other guys... Again, the bands still weren't that impressive, and I started to feel extremely exhausted, no idea why, so Jufry accompanied me to the black platform where the big screen would be set at night for people who didn't want to sweat in the audience to sit and watch. I laid down and just chilled there for about an hour, talking with Jufry about school, studies, life, family, music, posers, idiots.... Was a relaxing moment there. I soooo wanted to fall asleep.

Dragged myself up to leave and we went to grab some bites to eat. Me, Eno, Jufry and Saufi went to some "mamak", and had sandwiches which was a pathetic dinner, but honestly I wasn't really hungry anyway. We had taken a picture of the KL Tower which Jufry posed in front of before we went to eat and it was really funny because the flash was really bright so he looked so much fairer.
Me: Wow, Jufry... fair!....
Jufry: yeahhhh
Me: Tak. Mungkin!
Saufi&Eno: Hahah!
Jufry: You wait.... *glares at me*
I did wait, but nothing happened.
We went to get our spots in the moshpit, and waited for the bands to begin. I was getting so extremely annoyed at the hosts because they kept speaking for SO LONG... I was like... MOVE ALREADY! Haha. So the line-up that I managed to see before I went home was OAG, The Pilgrims, One Buck Short, Republic of Brickfields and Meet Uncle Hussain.
*before one buck short's performance*
Host: Anyone can pinjam saya seringgit?
Other host: why?
Host: Coz' I'm... One Buck Short... can you all guess which band is next?

Er..... no, I can't. -_-

*after their performance*
Host: I need one buck to go to Brickfields.
Me: Republic of Brickfields!!!!!!!!!! *ignores the hosts as they speak on and on
Hosts: Yes, the next band is Republic of Brickfields!

Er........ no shit. LAME!


I managed to record one video from every band in that lineup except for Meet Uncle Hussain, because I was too busy moshing. -_- I was like... "OH MY GOD I LEFT THEM OUT"... cheh. OAG were of course always the best energizers to kickstart a gig, and were absolutely funky. They did a great cover for "Don't Look Back in Anger" by Oasis after an instrumental intro of "Beautifool" which was like a karaoke for the audience because Radhi wasn't on stage yet. Then they sang their "Merdeka" song... about independent music or something. And finally, Generasiku and Slumberrrr. Whee.


The Pilgrims were alright, nothing great, nothing bad, just alright. They had a new singer, and they haven't been gigging since the 90s... so... it was some fresh moment for them. One Buck Short. I crowdsurfed to them, but I didn't feel comfortable at all, because I could feel hands creeping up to my chest, and I was like "No, not good, I should fall now." So I did. Sigh. I should've worn my hoodie. Argh! Other than that, it was just pure, good, energetic moshing, which was the highlight for me, because I didn't get grabbed or anything while moshing... Was amazing.

Republic of Brickfields... hell... they were... HEAVEN. Haha. I was so into the singing, the dancing, the zoning out and the listening to the guitars and drums fill my whole body thing. Foooo.... I was blown away. And also by Aru's hair. Hee. They performed a song I didn't know the title to, then Ganjaran, Emansipasi and Orang Planet. They tried a few times to start "Bila Aku Sudah Tiada" just to hear the crowd's reaction, and it was probably something they expected when people didn't want them to play it. Anyway, they ended with a cover of "Sweat (Alalalong)" by Inner Circle. Haha! They were MY best band of the night. Definitely.
Meet Uncle Hussain, almost equally good. I guess they were equally good, but it's just the fact that raggae to me, beat MUH for the night yo. :) MUH performed a small demo to their new song, then Lalala kerjalah, Pari Pari, and finally Lagu Untukmu, which was CRAZY. Everyone was moshing, headbanging, singing along... Just great. I loved loved loved the night.
As I walked out I saw Dayang also from Escape the Flock, and she asked me to stay for Bittersweet, but...oh well, I had to leave. Waved goodbye to another MCPA-recognizable face and ended my KL Indie Fest night. Ahh...

Enthusiactically reminisced by Celine

No comments: