KL GIGS

It's all about smoke & sweat.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Rock N Roll @ KL Jam Asia

Okay, so tonight wasn't the best gig I've been to, I can start off with that. But again, it was a chance to spit out bits of random indie talent we can find stuffed in between every crack in the big mix of a Malaysian boulder. And you can always find entertainment when that happens.So yes, this time the spitting out occurred in KL Jam Asia @ Hartamas, which I had initially gone to support ENRAI anyway.

I arrived there half an hour late, with my cousin Kenny, to meet up with Jarrod, ija, San, Mus and Dela, but I walked into a sea of black shirts and "I will eat you" expressions, choked by a sudden wave of cigarette smoke, only to realize none of my friends were in KL Jam... er... awkward. I called Jarrod (YEAH HE'S FINALLY BACK!) and he said they were in Spicy Kitchen so yes we walked all the way across the street to Spicy to have some drinks and to chill. Finally met San's gay partner KANESH! xD hahah! And I met Dave as well as Nick, Ija's "future brother-in-law", along with Helena (San's Girlfriend) and later on I met FARAH, Mus's girlfriend. Like... finally. -_-
9something pm. Went to KL Jam to check out the bands performing. We entered to a band, Human Actually, fronted by a girl, who I felt was a little too still. She didn't move and even though I had complimented her voice to sound a little like Lan from Meet Uncle Hussain, her movements were no where near the energetic twirls and jumps he does. Pity though, that band had pretty good potential.

Next up was Deumuseth, which caused Dela pain in her ears after their performance. A hardcore death metal band, I felt they totally kicked asss, despite the extremely long (and unnessecary) audio intro of some recital... Nah.. it ruined it. But that was forgotten when the singer punched in with a sharp, high scream that pierced everyone straight into the heart. A tight performance by these guys. Ija was going nuts for the guitarist (he was his ex band-member), while I was going nuts when Jarrod told me the guy at the technical booth was Faiz from Forty Winks. Heehee. Wait, I just went completely off track... Oops. xD

SO. Deumuseth, a good performance, I suppose. But once again, it was a little too much metal for one night... Probably because the amps kept screwing up and all that, and the crowd was kind of dead (I was pretty dead meself) so the atmosphere for METAL just wasn't there.
Next up after them was Stereo Sakit. I heard a lot about them from Ija who's close to the bassist (Hadi Lizard, ex-Komplot bassist), so I guess my expectations from them were pretty high. But they turned out to be... just alright. The music was friking nice, I have to admit but the vocalist was shadowed down by the loudness of the music, though I feel his voice could have sounded amazing.The band members were slightly...er... well partially, probably because they were high on something, and the vocalist admitted he was keeping his pee in. The drummer just dropped his sticks and stumbled off stage after their last song which I found rather... ungraceful. haha. Yeah.

Midway through their performance, Dela had to leave, which she was so pissed about as she had wanted to stay to watch Enrai perform, but oh well, Dela, I recorded vids for you! :)It was rather lucky she didn't stay anyway, Enrai only performed at one something, and trust me my momma was pissed shitless.
After Stereo Sakit, it was time for Kujo! The name sounds cool, so what about the band? Kind of ambient/rock, sounding like they worship Radiohead (with all the vocal influences as well), they sounded rather alright. Jarrod and I got bored after a bit as the vocalist kept going "Whooo~" for the majority of their songs... Yeah. Then the vocalist tried to speak Malay which was pretty amusing for us, but we gave him support for at least trying xD HAHAHA this part of the night was funny, I turned to my left and gawped as I saw some middle aged and oldER white people standing around looking at the bands. Okay, I know you get a lot of Caucasians here but at that time in KL Jam... WHAT!?Nick was as awed as I was. I went "They must be ex-rockers." Turns out a lady's brother (caucasian sister, malay brother... adopted/remarried perhaps) was the drummer for Y2K. Wait was it Y2K or Kujo? Can't really remember...

By then, my bum was sore from sitting on the ground for so long, and really, I was yawning more than I was headbanging... I guess I enjoyed the night, yeah, but it could've been much more energetic. I left without a sweat on my back. And that's not good if it's coming to gigs.
Back on the topic of Y2K, whom I have heard a lot about, they turned out to not be as WOW as I expected. It's kind of like... expecting gold and getting bronze. Yeah. They had some funky punk music going on which kept my head moving and feet tapping, and they entertained us with their masks, but other than that, their performance didn't blow me away like I usually want punk bands to. The vocalists were too soft (the mic's fault), and one of them actually didn't have a very in-tune voice either... and they just decided to put a girl up on stage to sing which I didn't really see the point in...Jarrod: Maybe they're trying to up their sex appeal.


Then.. then... it was... Infiltrated! Yeah! I think...? Yeah! The band before Enrai. Again they were a metal band, and that almost made me punch the floor. I mean, it's not because they were BAD it's just... there was just too much already! It was hilarious when they introduced their last song as "This Is Not The End" or something like that... Them: This is our last song.. it's called "This is not the end"...
Me: NO!
Nick: Argh....
Jarrod: O-M-G!

I think I saw some of their friends/fans glaring at us. Hey we weren't insulting them so chillaxxx...
And finally... ENRAI!!!! A twist to the many metal bands before. Dancedancedance. But it sucked because it was so late so most of the crowd had left by then, and like Kenny said, they deserved more crowd than what we were left with.Ija was half-drunk/exhausted by the time they were supposed to perform, so you can guess how it was. xD The music was tight, per usual, with a flare of energy coming from each of the band members, dancing, bobbing and moving around, using the stage space well.


Ija was CRAZYYY, he was everywhere, but he seemed to have exert so much energy in his first song, he had no breath for the last three. But he pulled it off with a good performance, though in the end, I have to admit I didn't feel like the wait from 9pm to 1am was 100% worth it... maybe 70%. :P
My camera died halfway through recording Wrong, but I did manage to record the full version of Realiti Fantasia, which I'm happy for. :)

Overall, an OK night, it could've been much much better. But the bands that performed weren't BAD, they were actually all good in their own ways, but maybe with better amps, better crowds and better atmosphere... they can kick ass. Yeah. And less booze, Ija. xD

Celine wishes she hadn't left her chocolates at KL Jam :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

first comment on this post. hehe. aniways, yea wish was ther to watch enrai...n wheres da vid!? aniways, nice blog