KL GIGS

It's all about smoke & sweat.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sesi Butterfingers #1

Sesi Butterfingers - Acoustic (17th January 2009) @ Istana Budaya; 2pm-430pm
Session One: Featuring Bunkface as opening band

Held at the oh-my-gosh-posh Istana Budaya, nothing lesser than 'wow' was expected from these wowing grungers that's been sending crowds creaming for over 13 years now. Butterfingers, putting on their final showcases for the weekend before they split to move on with their lives, was presenting two acoustic showcases, of which the first one I was privileged enough to witness!

Because I went to cover for Magmug Magazine (www.magmug.com), and because it was RM35 per session, none of my usual gig-kakis were there with me, so I was left walking around alone fretting that I might not be able to enter as media coz' I didn't have any pass yet. Turns out my pass was actually meant for the third session, but whatever, I still managed to get in. :) Thanks to my oh-so-professional look. MUAHAHA. Perasaan je.

I was pretty blown away by the concept of the stage, which was at first awkward for me, but then turned out to be really cool actually. It was like some mini jamming area, with all the instruments crammed together... and that made the positions of the band members sitting together look really casual and intimate, and helped interact with the audience as well. Good, good stuff.

Bunkface kicked in first, playing 4 songs in total. Okay. Their performance - solid, lah. But the QUALITY of their performance wavered; maybe it was due to the fact that it was their first time ever performing their set acoustic, or maybe just that Sam Bunkface's vocals does not suit acoustic. Naw, man, it just didn't work for me.
I mean, the music and harmony... was all good. But the whole atmosphere needed for acoustic sets just wasn't there. But it was a good attempt, and did show something different for once, coming from these punkrockers. They performed Bunk Anthem, Fine (from their old EP), Silly Lily and Situasi, which they used two violins for. Pretty cool lah, I mean they did try, and that's what matters.

Butterfingers. Dude, flawless? Haha, I mean seriously! I'm so pissed that I didn't take any photos but I don't think I would've wanted to focus on taking shots of them, for I was too busy being blown away. They.Put.Me.In.A.Trance. Haha. Seriously. All the songs they played was so packed and stuffed with emotions, and... stories. I was really, really blown away. 
Absolute favourites were 1.2 Milligrams, Mating Season, Ruin By the Selling Out, The Chemistry... oh gosh, fck it, ALL of their songs blew me away! Hahaha.

Moe joined me halfway in to the set, for he was covering for ROTTW... late bum! Hehe. I think I made him feel a lil terasa (SORRY!) coz I was so into the songs Butterfingers was generously giving out to us, that I kind off tried to cut him off every time he talked. Haha, sorry Moeeee, but when I'm hooked on a song, especially live... man, my whole body's in it. :)

So if you ever go with me to watch a show by Damien Rice or any other 'atmospheric' geniuses... you know you gotta bring a cellophane tape to tape your mouth. Not only to Moe, this is a shoutout to everybody HAHAHA.

Loved Butterfingers! The lights were greatttt, too. And Emmett was just so friendly to everybody :) He was really nice, I think he almost teared up countless times before and after a song. Hehe. We feel you, really, we do. Favourite part was The Chemistry, not only because it was obviously THE song of the show. But, the lightings just made everything so amazing, I felt like I was breathing under water. And... the silence of the audience as we all listened... man... :)

Couldn't have been any better. Just disappointed I missed the evening one, with Hujan as opening band.. but yeah!

PS: Sorry for the late post, I was so stuffed with exams and all that!

No comments: