KL GIGS

It's all about smoke & sweat.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Nu Year Countdown @ Solaris, Mont Kiara

Happy New Year! 2009 greats me with a big bang of... sweat! As the clock struck twelve, I was in the midst of feet-tapping and nodding to DJ beats at SOHOkl Solaris, Mont Kiara, where the Nu Year Countdown gig was being held.

After a hearty munch at my place with Jarrod, and a casual argument with my mother of which I told her "I WANT YOU TO GO TONIGHT" and she retaliated an "I AM TOO LAZY"... we were dropped off at SOHO, just Jarrod and I, and headed over to the banks to deposit and withdraw cash. Doodoodoo... Met up with my other close friends, Moshi and Arul who we found sitting outside CIMB.



Skipping all the mamak talk and roaming around the area, we arrived back at the gig venue realizing with a heavy heart we had missed Killeur Calculateur's performance, and were greeted with a rather unenthusiastic sound of Broken Scars. Or shall I say... the band members seemed very much enthusiastic, but the response to their music and maybe the vibes they gave out lacked the 'oomph!'. All in all, I suppose I would've preferred seeing K.Calculateur as my first band of the night. Left shortly to get the rest of my friends... Ayen, Kolep, Nad, Illey and Azam (me and him have been no longer since my KAMI the Concert blog entry)... now everyone's here... not a minute to lose!



Next up... The Times! Ah... Since when are these guys a disappointment? Each band performing three songs each, it was just not enough from them. More, more! They gave us three fantastic songs, of which included "Khayal Khayalan" from their new album. With the great sound system along with their OMG-amazing equipments, The Times were nothing short of tight. Another fabulous performance by these leather jacketed rockers.



Next up? The ones I came for, the ones I haven't seen since last frigging year. Komplot! WHOO. Man, it's not only the fact that I have been waiting since forever to catch them live again, but also the fact that I couldn't wait to get my hands on their newly launched EP that made their show a big 'wow'. Okay, a few flaws perhaps, where sometimes the saxophones couldn't really be heard, but all in all, a performance that did not disappoint me at all. Vocals wise, aiyo... Zac is Zac, right? Nothing you can really say about him. Raw, and out there. Sadly, the drummer was holiday-ing somewhere in Jakarta, and couldn't make it to perform, but their sessionist did a pretty good job filling in. Performing the three songs I love the most from them, there was never a moment when I was not dancing. :)




Managed to catch a few words with Zac after their performance, and was harassed with a big "YOU DANCED, GIRL!" as I went to catch a call from Chaom after they performed. Haha hell yeah I did! Psht! Right after Komplot was a punch of the power band They Will Kill Us All who also just recently launched their new album (which took three years to produce gosh!). Again, what more can you expect when you hear the name TWKUA? In KL, they are never any less than perfect, all their songs with tight, angsty vocals from Fizul and surround sound music from the rest! Three songs again, was just not enough from them, and they indeed gave us one more extra song! Whoo!





After TWKUA, an energized me went out to chill for a bit, and kept getting calls from Chaom, Noel and back to Chaom all asking me the directions to the place. GAWSH. Saw Aidil chilling with Zac and was about to greet them went a call came in LOLZ
Me: *talks on phone, hangs up* Hey guys!
Zac: Heyyy you -
Me: Sorry! *picks up phone, talks, hangs up*
*picks up another call*
Zac: What the hell, busy girl la this one!
Aidil: Yeah, yeah, busy busy.



HAHAHA. Finally managed to talk with the both of them, and was about to grab a CD from Komplot's crew, when Zac told me he wanted to give it to me personally for free after the show. So, as hyped as I was, I waited, and stole his hat (hehe, sorry dude, I still have it). Told Aidil how amazing Couple's new album is. Yeah, tau la, bodek je la. Hahaha, nah really, that CD is great. Headed back to watch Pesawat in action with Zac, and by this time I had no idea where everyone had gone, and saw a guy looking exactly like Jarrod in the media area, but sat with the audiences. Pesawat! Missed one and a half song by them, but at least I managed to catch their most popular song "Mirage"! They were rather tight, too, with strong vocals, nice harmonies... Yeah, loved them!




Next up? Lots of hugging and goodbyes because EVERYONE decided to ditch me and Jarrod and head to Hartamas. Gosh. So uncool. But anyhoo, had a nice time lepaking at another mamak with Jarrod, Zac and some whole bunch of Zac's friends. Talked about cool stuff like gigs, music magazines... bands... yeah... what else, eh? :D
Headed back to catch the DJs, only to find Noel, Jeremy and their friend Calvin walking towards me. LIKE, HELLO! Hehe, really missed Noel ever since he left to Batu Pahat. So glad he's back, man. Also had a funny chat with Shaz... wait... was his name Shaz? Either Shaz or Shah, but definitely NOT Ryan Slater which he lied to me his name was, gosh!



Was greeted with fire dancers as Jarrod went missing, and oh gosh they were good. So envious of them! I would love to be able to perform an art like they did... So yeah, lot's of talking, and chilling... and laughing. :) A nice night.
The countdown came, 3 2 1, and we were plunged into the embrace of DJ Bo's kickass beats projecting from his turntables. Spent the whole night dancing after that, and had mini dance-offs with Noel - just like old times! :D

Left at around 2something, went to the mamak to grab a drink and squished the guys in the backseat of my mom's car to end the night.


Celine looks forward to the new year... but not the new school term... Exams! *gulp!*

No comments: