KL GIGS

It's all about smoke & sweat.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Dance Punk Party 2010 @ Noisy Studio, Ampang

It's not everyday you get a gig collaborating all the new-wave/dancepunk/psychadelic freak of natures. But DPP 2010 is exactly what it is all about. Music. Dancing Shoes. and moving moving movinggggg.

Left my house around 3something with Moe after transferring my drums down to the car (yes, i had to bring my own drums) and went straight to Noisy Studio, only to find Jarrod not there yet, so I went to set up the drums and waited for the bands to arrive. Whee.

Kaos Beat came first after us, and tried out the drums and amps whilst chilling at the next door mamak. Faez came as well, and so did Azri, Azam and Syafiq a little later. So after a long time of just chilling around waiting for everybody to arrive and the room to fill up, passing out glowsticks and forgetting about entry fees, we were ready to kick-start the show at 8.30pm.


Round Robin played first, a good start to pump up some energy to us tired souls, with funky synth effects and whatnot. Some parts sounded distorted though, but other than that, they had a definite funk-punch in their music.

M.O.I.S.T (which is Jarrod, Moe and I) were next. Can't comment, but I was so happy to see everybody enjoying themselves from where I sat behind the drums. Was cool to hear them going "Hey! hey! Hey!" during our song "Tuna". Yay, thanks guysssss!!! :)

Drums wise...? I need to practice real hard again man. HAHAHA


Next up: Kaos Beat. Thanks for dedicating "Black Diamond" to me, guys :) Sayanggg korang. Hahaha. Played a solid set, definitely a newer sound to the previous DPP, they're now a lot more chilled out and fit for stoners. Hahahaha.



A band I couldn't wait to catch was Part Time Lovers. I was told that they apparently sounded like m83, and I couldn't agree more. They were basically that... plus a bit more catchier tunes. Definitely worth a check out and I was awed to have caught them live, them men clad in Joy Division like style.


Then it was my turn again, with Enrai. Four songs, killed me. Haha!


The Fridays! Funny confusion between "Pavilion is for losers" and "Blackberry is for losers" was debated after their set. Loved loved loved them, they definitely pulled my adrenaline up. Was hilarious dancing to their freakish music with pauses and creepy zombie, creature feature-like music. :) Hehe.


Chaos, chaos, The Dramatic stepped on stage as second last, and had to replay one of their songs because their last song was sabotaged by a keyboard falling off the stand and malfunctioning. Haha. But they had a supportive crowd + good music, so it was no worry to have to repeat one song again. :)



It was exciting waiting for Ben's Bitches. I mean... ITS BLOODY BEN'S BITCHES MAN! DPP pulled them out of their retirement, and boy did we have fun listening to them! They played hilarious tunes like "Aku Suka Jolok", "Ini Gitar Mak Aku" and "Panda". Good stuff man, serious good stuff.


Finally the show ended at around midnight, and we packed the drums out and waited for Moe to come back from PJ to pick it up and send me home, having drinks outside the venue and listening to a bunch of rastafarians having their fun with reggae music. Loverly.

Celine needs to get back in touch with drums!

No comments: