KL GIGS

It's all about smoke & sweat.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Tampin Ska Fest @ 7th Heaven Studio, Tampin N9

Half a review; because we only arrived for half the show. It's difficult to arrive on time when you sleep at 7 in the morning and the gig starts at 1.30pm..... in Tampin, Negeri Sembilan. Faham2 je lah.. :)

Went with Moe (the rest bailed on us!) on a mini roadtrip to the neighbouring state of N9, and met up with Nas below 7th Heaven studio at Tampin Square at around 5pm.


















By then 5 bands had already played, leaving only 4. Goddamit. But as long as we haven't missed Plague of Happiness, it's goooood! Chilled outside and tried to fit in with the crowd and gain some friendly looks, but all felt very estranged to me, it wasn't really an atmosphere where people were making you feel welcomed, sadly.

Went inside after a while and caught Orkeska, a band from our side of the country. All pictures prior to Geng Gemok Keji had been from far because I was just lingering in the back enjoying the music from far, and there was no proper stage so the band was playing on the floor, therefore the pictures of Orkeska and I See Dumb People were super crappy. But aside from that, Orkeska played a great set, of course playing their infamous cover of Monkey Man to end their prolonged set, with two encores included. :)



























Went back out for some fresh air; the lack of oxygen was similar to Grido Studio Kelana Jaya. Scary. Bought some stickers/CDs/Tshirt with Moe from the merch outside the studio and saw Akmal (TIM) and Apiz (C14). Was great to see friendly, familiar faces in a place of unknowns. I was already getting annoyed at this one guy who kept laughing and giving me dodgy looks with his friend.
After sitting a while, headed to catch I See Dumb People.

I only have one good shot of the vocalist but this guy has a super sultry voice and a good head for melodies! This band was a fluctuation between slow, berjoget-like ska to really fast paced ska-punk. I enjoyed the set, though I couldn't see the band members 1/2 the time.














Then as everyone cleared the room after the set, Moe and I went to the front when we got the chance and waited for Geng Gemok Keji as they set up. Was funny when Reshad was super surprised to see me there at Tampin. Yes I came! :D

Geng Gemok Keji was GOOD. After a long pause of not catching them perform since Grido Studio, I was well entertained by their set filled with toe-tapping happy guitars and
energized drumming. Yeah they were a little rusty here and there, but it was good, good music overall! :)

































































Paused for Maghrib Break and hell yesssss, it was time for PLAGUE OF HAPPINESS!!!! WHEEHOOOO! The one band that we came to see. There's not much to say that can describe them, they always put on a great show. Despite the fact that almost half of their members were not performing with the band today, the sound still rounded the room and filled the spirits with enthusiasm. Kids were jumping around, the sing-alongs raised through the ceiling, everybody was having a colossal amount of fun packed in a small tiny space.































However, what disappointed me was when I was having fun listening to them, when AGAIN I got felt up from the back. Similarly to Cherating Ska Fest, ALSO during Plague of Happiness' set. Furious, I turned around and saw the guy. It was the same bloody guy who was giving me looks outside the studio. Asshole. I would've punched him but Moe already held me back, knowing what was about to happen. Nevermind. Let it be. I waited until Nas finished playing the song, and went up to him. I whispered to him about what happened (Nas had wished I had told him at Cherating when it happened so I decided I would tell him this time). He gave me a serious nod, and immediately went to the microphone when he settled his guitar tuning.

[Translated to English, as much as I can remember]
"Okay everybody, listen up. We're all equal, girls and guys, we don't discriminate during our shows. Please take care of all the girls in the crowd and respect them, don't be a pervert and try to feel them up."
Crowd: OOooOOOOoohhh!!!

"No, guys, I'm serious about this, it's not a good thing, everyone's equal, don't try to mess around with anybody. Let's enjoy the show and make it a good one for all."

I could've kissed his face off. HAHAHA. Respect, Nas, thank you so much for the speech. I looked at the guy's face as he sat behind Nas, by the speakers. He did not look happy. Well too bad for you, asshole. Verbal confrontation in front of everybody is a lot more shameful than a punch in the face.

Aside from that, Plague of Happiness threw on a hell of a show, playing all the crowd favourites (though not mine :( I wanted Tiada Idea and Hypnotized!). All in all, one awesome set from one awesome band.































































A good day, a good roadtrip for Celine and Moe.

1 comment:

alepridz said...

nice gig... "haha sempat siap suh nas warning lagi jgn raba2 girls..."